Brushing is the most effective method for removing harmful plaque from your teeth and gums.
Brushing two times a day is the minimum. Use a fluoride toothpaste in the morning and before bed at night. If possible, brush after lunch with or without toothpaste.
This is the best technique for brushing teeth:
- Place your toothbrush next to your teeth at a 45-degree angle and gently brush in a circular motion. Feel the bristles getting under the gumline and between teeth.
- Brush only two or three teeth at a time. Slowly move the brush around your mouth.
- Brush all surfaces - front, back, top.
- Don't forget your tongue. Brushing your tongue not only removes trapped bacteria and other disease-causing germs, but it also freshens your breath.
- Remember to replace your brush when the bristles begin to spread because a worn toothbrush will not properly clean your teeth.
- Effective brushing usually takes about two minutes.